As you grow into leadership roles, the way you deal with stuff changes dramatically compared to when you’re rising up the ladder. In order to continue your growth, here are some invaluable tips from Marshall Goldsmith, Bestselling author of ‘What Got You Here Won’t Get You There’.
There are 20 tips total, but we’ll get started with the first 5:
- Winning too much: The need to win at all costs and in all situations- when it matters, when it doesn’t, and when it’s totally beside the point. This applies to your spouse/significant other as much as it does to co-workers, trust me.
- Adding too much value: The overwhelming desire to add our two cents to every discussion. Don’t do this- You know who you are.
- Passing Judgment: The need to rate others and impose our standards on them.
- Making destructive comments: The needless sarcasms and cutting remarks that we think make us sound sharp and witty. They don’t make you sound sharp and witty; they make you sound like an asshole.
- Starting with “No”, “But”, or “However”: The overuse of these negative qualifiers which secretly say to everyone, “I’m right and you’re wrong”.
Take Action: Start practicing these tips as soon as possible. You will reap the benefits and realize you’re actually better offer by not wasting energy in these areas, both in business and in life.
p.s. Check back for the next 5 tips!